NCFC 2015 - Part One Uther Beta!

Rules, news, estimated release dates and moar.

NCFC 2015 - Part One Uther Beta!

Myke
Advanced Member
Myke
Advanced Member

Aug 25 2015, 12:18 AM #1

It's NCFC 2015 already, and wow, these last couple of years have been insane! Our last big release was at NCFC 2013, where we had planned to release the version we're releasing today. Instead, we gave you 0.4.0.1, a release I was still proud of. We set an incredibly ambitious goal and worked our arses off to mass-produce the content and get it all it working order... and fell way short. But what we ended up with was still huge! Hours of content! A strong demonstration of what the game had to offer, in terms of mechanics and design... And tons of what we had done was still hidden away, waiting to reach a standard fit for implementation.

And there were so many obstacles, too! So many times, the project had to take a backseat to crisis after crisis, to studies and family matters and the like. Heck, I didn't have a working computer for most of 2013, but that was nothing new. We worked when and where we could, and when we became fatigued, we'd blow steam experimenting with new features and concepts for games we might make in the future. So when we got back into it, we were still in form and brimming with new inspiration.

Since then, it's just been more of the same, but in overdrive. The chapters from 7 onwards were so much more complex in terms of gameplay and narrative both, and as it approached the climax it became nearly impossible to track all the moving parts. We had to review the entire game and decide how and when the player would be introduced to these elements to be sure we still had some surprises for the endgame, and to keep the pacing appropriate. I've drafted ten-thousand words of plot synopsis and character notes, and half again as much of theoretical experiments and class balance analysis in these last 24 months alone!

Like I said, it's been nuts. I've improved a dozen times over as an artist and a writer, and Yeti's really growing into the programming mastermind everyone always made him out to be. We've procured a gallery of quality art assets, wrangled the story into some sort of satisfying conclusion for this part of the project, and refined the gameplay to be as engaging and entertaining as we can make it. This bad boy packs some eight chapters, each more dramatic and challenging than the one preceding it. All in all, I'd say it's a resounding success by any measure - of course it's still incomplete, but it's finally in a state where it can stand as an endeavour worth the commitment to it.

Seriously, go play it right now! I have never been so hype for a release, and I promise there's good reason for it. FE7x: Uther Part One is officially in beta! Once we have some feedback, we'll be releasing an update an then diving straight into the next build. Oh, and be sure to have a look at the other NCFC booths and give them your support.

GLDN
GLDN

Aug 31 2015, 01:19 AM #2

I've noticed that after finishing chap 2 it skips directly to chapter 5. Am I doing something wrong?

BwdYeti
Advanced Member
BwdYeti
Advanced Member

Sep 1 2015, 03:48 PM #3

Nope, that's as intended. There are two other lord characters who have chapters interspersed through part 1, but they aren't ingame yet.