Halo..

Halo..

GrayWarden7
Advanced Member
GrayWarden7
Advanced Member

28 Apr 2011, 20:13 #1

:o so i was watching Halo: legends today and although its good i realized something... most of the story and characters are just rip offs from literature most notable the Ender's Game series. I mean John-117 has almost the same persona and backstory as Ender Wiggum and even has the AI who he becomes attatched to just like Ender. there is even a name with the exact same spelling taken from the fountainhead. i.e. Dr Catherine Halsey in halo and Catherine Halsey in Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead. I dont know if anyone else has noticed these things but i thought it was interesting.
"I am. I think. I will." Ayn Rand, Anthem

Klokinator
Advanced Member
Klokinator
Advanced Member

28 Apr 2011, 21:05 #2

Hence why Halo comes under fire by critics who call it the greatest ripoff story of all time.

Then again, I never played Halo for its story so I wouldn't know.

Sploder
Advanced Member
Sploder
Advanced Member

28 Apr 2011, 21:17 #3

I dunno. So many stories exist today that it often seems almost impossible to write anything at all without stepping on someone's toes.

For example, I recently watched Avatar, and the first half of the movie is essentially Pocahontas with mechs. The second half is reverse Pocahontas, of course.

Myke
Advanced Member
Myke
Advanced Member

29 Apr 2011, 11:06 #4

B- Sometimes it's called an 'homage'. Sploder's right, though. They say that every story has already been told.

GrayWarden7
Advanced Member
GrayWarden7
Advanced Member

14 May 2011, 05:11 #5

i think thats just a cop out there is still room for originality i mean look at inception or for a more low brow example step brothers these are successful original ideas. videosgames seem to be the final bastion for original ideas though in the media and arts industry with far more original stories being released in the gaming media than in movies from Drake's uncharted to Assassins Creed gaming is becoming the groundbreaking medium in story telling.
"I am. I think. I will." Ayn Rand, Anthem

BwdYeti
Advanced Member
BwdYeti
Advanced Member

14 May 2011, 08:06 #6

GrayWarden7 @ May 14 2011, 01:11 AM wrote: i think thats just a cop out there is still room for originality i mean look at inception
ie movie that is basically a Scrooge McDuck comic
http://www.cracked.com/article_19021_5- ... ously.html

(Not saying it's bad, but for originality..)

Myke
Advanced Member
Myke
Advanced Member

14 May 2011, 10:45 #7

Assassin's Creed's plot is actually startling similar to the novel, Alamut. Likewise, the plot of Inception is almost identical to an old Scrooge McDuck comic called The Dream of a Lifetime.

The thing is, even if your story has already been told, it wasn't told in exactly the same manner. Writing in the modern age is more about understanding the implications of a story, exploring the themes and tropes within it, and trying to tell it in a unique and compelling way.

EDIT: fgsfdgs beaten to the punch

agouradude
Advanced Member
agouradude
Advanced Member

15 Oct 2015, 17:58 #8

Steven Spielberg wrote the story line of Halo for a movie, but Microsoft decided to turn it into a game.

I only play Halo for the story.

Halo 1 is the best game of all time!!!

Myke
Advanced Member
Myke
Advanced Member

17 Oct 2015, 02:33 #9

!!!!!!

I fucking hate people who resist this idea, halo explores a lot of meaningful themes, with good writing and cinematography, and because it's a dumb shooter it doesn't have the authority to do that
so they say halo has a bad story