GUI

Everyone loves to show off their artistic skills - here's the place.

GUI

Anderty
Anderty

15 Dec 2011, 00:17 #1

It say's much. Let's start with "why" thing.

First of all, I'm gonna explain "why" thing, cuz filling space with trash is quite annoying. OK, let's start.

Have you ever saw any game with same GUI? Especially same game series GUI? LEt me say for you - NO. No game have identical design and style of GUI in total ('lot of ellements can be leaved, but there's no chance, that GUI have't been imroved).

Why so? It's simple, as simple great games can be. Throught time and sorrows, designers collect 'lot experience and ideas, as they see progress of theyre products. And so one, they inch by inch reach most greatest interface, what designspot can imagine. So, further developements are neccesary. And of course, not only in usefulness. In design too!

So, here goes topic idea - let's start developement of new, improved and fresh design GUI. O'course, we won't change style and keep source feeling. But let's modernize that crunchy one to more modern one!

OK, and now come funny part - after all this serious txt, I suggest next: We, community, are experienced gamers (at least, in FE series, might I guess) and have thought sometimes about, how it would be nice to have - <youre thought>.

So, let us collect those thoughts and decide, which are rly worthy and usefull for better gameplay improvement. Funny is that, that I wanted to contribute my help in UI design, but as I know from life - I don't think I MASTER of this game won't be so happy to do a lot of double-work. So let's be mindfull and understand each other. I can try to convince you to change UI design to something else, but, I can't do big changes in calssic GUI, cuz there is a lot of work and effort putted in what is achieved now. (For me, I'm rly surprised, how everything is greatly putted in there)

If you gonna be rly interested in MY suggestions of GUI redesign, I'll spend some day's speccialy for demos of what I want to achieve.

Well, try to understand my babling and say what is asked! I think, do as normal people and come back to comment only after an hour right after you read that. Fast comment isn't good as comment after some time, cuz you'll get some time to think. Which is way better XD.

Sry for serious mood and little harsh on you, but I want rly serious thoughts on it, not just funny quotes.

kieran32
Advanced Member
kieran32
Advanced Member

15 Dec 2011, 00:21 #2

"bla bla bla lets change gui"

>no addressing what changes need to be made

:&#124;

L95
Advanced Member
L95
Advanced Member

15 Dec 2011, 03:00 #3

Pointing out specific problems would help.

Arch
Arch

15 Dec 2011, 05:30 #4

To me, an optimized GUI is one in which players spend as little time with menus as is possible. Menus just serve to get in the way of actual gameplay, which is why they should be as seamless and efficient as possible. If you want to optimize a GUI, start with cutting all the bloat/waste/unnecessary prompts/excessive commands, those only serve to annoy players and make things inefficient. Once you trim all the fat, starting removing other delays, condensing things as much as possible, try to make everything logically controllable in as few menus as you can. Menus should be seamless, efficient, simple, elegant, and natural. Controlling the game should feel like the most natural thing in the world.

Hopefully that'll help guide the discussion the topic creator wants to have. It's definitely a hard task to optimize FE's GUI, since Fire Emblem has one of the most efficient and seamless GUIs in a tactical RPG. But hey, brainstorm to your heart's content. This topic basically inspired me to start drawing up notes on a touch-controlled FE (since I believe that fullscreen touch, not dual-screen like DS, is absolutely the way of the future). I'll share whatever I end up writing.

Anderty
Anderty

15 Dec 2011, 10:04 #5

L95 @ Dec 15 2011, 05:00 AM wrote: Pointing out specific problems would help.
Well, there's no problem as big as can be. But, I think change little bit mechanics and structure of UI and make new GUI (as old ones is great, but we can't use them, cuz they are used already :D).

Thought, I'll try spend some time speccialy for this topic, and try make demo in swf (cuz it's onlyest engine, which I somehow understand) for better understanding.

Ragnarok
Advanced Member
Ragnarok
Advanced Member

16 Dec 2011, 17:38 #6

Arch @ Dec 15 2011, 05:30 AM wrote: It's definitely a hard task to optimize FE's GUI, since Fire Emblem has one of the most efficient and seamless GUIs in a tactical RPG.
My thoughts exactly.

I definitely can't think of any way to streamline it further, and I'm not sure it would be a good idea even if we did. I don't mean don't fix what's not broken, I mean seeing as this is a strategy game, it doesn't hurt to have that extra second of menus to plan or rethink your tactics.
I've been busy, so if you need me, PM me...

:D

Myke
Advanced Member
Myke
Advanced Member

02 Jan 2012, 12:05 #7

It's probably because I'm a Bioware fanboy, but I've always thought the radial hub from Dragon Age/Mass Effect and the like was the true face of modern HUDs. When it's not up, you only the minimal information necessary; ie. health bars and the three abilities you have selected, plus the minimap (most of which can be turned off in the PC versions). And then, when you need to access all the complicated stuff, you can temporarily break immersion and access it from the wheel - then bang, it's gone.

But yeah mostly what Arch was saying. The fewer button presses it takes to equip your new sword, the better. If you even consider implementing some painstaking immersion tactic like Fable 3's sanctuary, you should have your license revoked.

kieran32
Advanced Member
kieran32
Advanced Member

02 Jan 2012, 20:09 #8