Fire Emblem 8x

Everyone loves to show off their artistic skills - here's the place.
Klokinator
Advanced Member
Klokinator
Advanced Member

23 Feb 2011, 00:40 #16

One of the bigger mistakes you can make, particularly with a fangame, is say outright who pairs with who. A character might mention his great grandfather Ephraim, but don't mention the mom, or else you might catch hot water from fans. I'm not saying don't hint at her, just don't say it outright.

Call this a stupid question, but was this going to be made with FEXP? I was under the impression it was.

Darkblade
Advanced Member
Darkblade
Advanced Member

23 Feb 2011, 00:58 #17

You mean RMXP? If so then yeah. In fact I was able to get the game's data/graphics files extracted recently. So although I am practically no good at scripting, I'm figuring out a small portion of it(Class Reel :lol: ). My advice is just wait for the kit. Hopefully when the kit has been released, it will require little to no scripting on our part.(Either that or it comes with a "Ruby Scripting for Dummies"lol) If so, then my advice is sound. If not, then I look like a complete idiot here.

Klokinator
Advanced Member
Klokinator
Advanced Member

23 Feb 2011, 01:19 #18

A sequel for FE8 ounds sort of tough, but because there's monsters, I could make a decent story about it.

40 years after the death of the Demon King, Ephraim is old now. He has lived a good fulfilling life, and saved his kingdom on more than one occasion.

One day the guards rush into the palace yelling something that Ephraim, in his old age, cannot quite hear. When they get closer, what he hears brings a cold dread back into his heart.

The dreaded monsters that he killed off many many years ago have started appearing again. What is this devilry? Has the demon king arisen again? Is it possible that some ancient dark magic spell has reawoken the dead from their comfortable slumber?

He didn't think it could get worse. He doesn't even have the comfort of thinking it over with his beloved sister, for she died just a few years previously. If he wasn't unnerved enough, think of how terrified he is when he finds out that humans and the foul fiends have joined forces!

Yes, this is indeed a dark omen for the people of Grado. How would it turn out? I have no idea, that's just a story I threw together off the top of my head.

Mercenary Lord
Advanced Member
Mercenary Lord
Advanced Member

23 Feb 2011, 01:58 #19

@Darkblade: There actually is a RGSS for dummies on RPGrevolution.com Its pretty useful.

@Klok: No offense, but that is a terrible idea. I mean, Erika dying? I know that game isnt as good as FE 7, but get real, were talking about a main character lord dying! Never happened in any fire emblem game before!
And also, monsters and humans joining forces? Zombies, Skeletons and Gargoyles working together? It doesnt work very well...except for Rief whp was insane and working for the demon king...so.
Its just not a very good idea.

Unless I missed something?
'Physics is imagination in a straight jacket.' ~John Moffat

Darkblade
Advanced Member
Darkblade
Advanced Member

23 Feb 2011, 02:15 #20

Well, Parantheon and I weren't originally planning on monsters being part of the story, but the way you put it makes me think it may be possible. And the timing seems just about right since we wouldn't have to name Ephraim's wife, but there would still be a few of the younger FE8 characters who could be shown(For example, Ewan). But 40ish years later would put Ephraim in his mid to late 50's, which would be considered ancient(except for the most powerful Magic users and Mamkutes) by many people, as life expectations would be far lower than they are today.

So let's say about 32 years later(Putting Ephraim about 48-50. Please correct me if I'm wrong). Still quite old by the time period's standards, but not as old. Also, the parts of Grado shattered by the earthquake mentioned in Knoll and Natasha's A support would have been repaired by this point(At least most of them). Valter may not be the final boss in that situation, but it would make more sense having the game take place at that point in time.

Also, if the monsters return, then that means someone who wants t destroy the Fire Emblem(Rausten's Sacred Stone that was given to Renais. Also the last Sacred Stone in existence). Just a strange idea that I'm throwing out there, now, but if the Fire Emblem is located in Renais, then what if this time around, the enemies are not spawning from Grado, but an underground cult located in Renais, therefore splitting the nation in two. IDK, as I said, I'm just throwing around some random ideas that some may like better than the "evil" that's always associated with Grado.

Klokinator
Advanced Member
Klokinator
Advanced Member

23 Feb 2011, 02:35 #21

ML; People die of old age.

DB; Being 60ish is not "Ancient" and while people did indeed have shorter lifespans, this is the king of a city we're talking about.

And I have only played FE8 all the way through a grand total of one time and never really gave a real rat about the story XD So I don't remember what nations are what. As for my actual story concept...

It could be that a servant at the palace got ahold of the Fire Emblem, and following with the great and grand mysterious nature of the Fire Emblem, it imbued him with incredible power, and he harnessed this power to raise the dead and coerce people to his side. This would easily enable you to have normal units and monsters fighting side by side.

It's your game and you make it how you want, this is just the sort of storyline I'd make up, because I prefer a more surreal storyline, with more fantastical notions in it. Like time travel, and unexpected family relations (WHAT?! You're my father?!).

Darkblade
Advanced Member
Darkblade
Advanced Member

23 Feb 2011, 12:45 #22

It may just be Parantheon and my game, but you're being a great help, Klokinator. And ML: The main lords would not be Ephraim and Eirika. Our main lord(s) would be entirely new, possibly the grandsons of Ephraim. Also, this would take out the absolute need for Tier 3 classes. Not saying I can't still be swayed.

FE8's six nations and nobles from those nations:
Renais(Ephraim,Eirika)
Frelia(Innes,Tana)
Grado(Lyon)
Jehanna(Joshua)
Rausten(L'Arachel)
Carcino(Council of Elders. No kings, princes, etc.)

Basically, a Monk servant person somehow gets his hands on the twin bracelets, giving him access to the Fire Emblem. He then uses this to bring people back from the dead and control others who dare face him. Now, though, he dsoesn't wish to destroy the Fire Emblem, but to use it to his advantage. He would forge a very powerful staff from the Sacred Stone(Powers of this staff are still unknown). If Tier 3's end up being included, this dude would be a T3 class that I made called a Duke. It is an Armored unit that wields swords and staves.

Myke
Advanced Member
Myke
Advanced Member

23 Feb 2011, 19:30 #23

Mercenary Lord @ Feb 23 2011, 11:58 AM wrote: @Klok: No offense, but that is a terrible idea. I mean, Erika dying? I know that game isnt as good as FE 7, but get real, were talking about a main character lord dying! Never happened in any fire emblem game before!
Go play FE6.
Darkblade wrote:
Klokinator wrote:Call this a stupid question, but was this going to be made with FEXP?
You mean RMXP? If so then yeah.
FEXP is what we're calling our kit now.

Nothing productive to add.

EDIT: >manually quoting lol

Darkblade
Advanced Member
Darkblade
Advanced Member

23 Feb 2011, 22:33 #24

Oh. How'd I miss that? Now I've made myself look like an idiot. Wonderful.

Anyway, my current idea for the Emblem Staff(the staff forged using the Sacred Stone) is that it allows the wielder to completely control one opposing unit for three turns, with a limit of one unit controlled at a time, and no bosses can be selected(this includes the player's main lords). The "complete control" over these units means that their overworld sprite color is changed as well, meaning that the "possessed" unit could trade with units allied with the staff's wielder. This makes the boss who wields this staff(the name if this Duke character is still undecided) would be extremely difficult, since anyone within his Mag Stat/2 range(range will be at least 10) can be possessed with the exception of the main lords. Cower in fear of him! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Klokinator
Advanced Member
Klokinator
Advanced Member

23 Feb 2011, 22:53 #25

Better make sure it's not a guaranteed possession, and that it has limitations. It would be best to base the hitrate off your typical stave. I don't know the exact formula, but it has to do with MAG increasing your hitrate by a certain percent, the enemy RES subtracts from hitrate, and finally distance also descreases the hitrate.

Again, I don't know the exact formula, but it'll probably be in FEXP.

Darkblade
Advanced Member
Darkblade
Advanced Member

23 Feb 2011, 22:58 #26

Of course the staff wouldn't have an automatic hit, but I'm sorry if that was confusing in my above post. I'm not sure of the exact calculation for ranged staff hit percentages, but I might be able to find it.

EDIT: Just found it on Serenes Forest:

Staff accuracy = 30 + (Magic x 5) + Skill
Staff avoid = (Resistance x 5) + (Distance from enemy x 2)

I believe this is what we're looking for :grin: .

Klokinator
Advanced Member
Klokinator
Advanced Member

23 Feb 2011, 23:40 #27

Wow that's the formula? Bit more complicated than I remember it being, but still easy to remember. Like I said, it's likely already the default staff animation so it's really no biggie.

BTW you do realize your idea is just a controlled version of the Berserk staff right?

Edit: Emblem Staff is a barely okay name. Call it the Perception Staff, and for a description say "Allows the user to alter the perception of anothers mind".

Edit2; I'm not saying give it that EXACT name, but just something a bit more original than Emblem Staff. After all, there are Emblem Bow, Sword, Lance, and Axe in FE7, and they're E ranked weapons.

Myke
Advanced Member
Myke
Advanced Member

23 Feb 2011, 23:54 #28

Darkblade @ Feb 24 2011, 08:33 AM wrote:
Oh. How'd I miss that? Now I've made myself look like an idiot. Wonderful.
It hasn't been officially announced, the progress report is still waiting for approval from Yeti.

Darkblade
Advanced Member
Darkblade
Advanced Member

24 Feb 2011, 00:02 #29

Perception Staff... I like it.

And yes, I do realize that it's just a controlled version of the Berserk Staff. If it's a problem I can just revise the staff to be similar to the Aum Staff, but that would mean an easier boss. I mean except for the fact that it would have infinite uses while in the boss's hands, but that doesn't change much. You kill three or more enemies, he revives one. It's just bringing back enemies that you've already killed, so all it accomplishes is wearing down the player's weapon uses and delaying his inevitable death. (btw, this version would be called something like the Revival Staff)

With the way it is now, he can take control of one of your most powerful units and send them up against another powerful unit, which achieves killing one of the player's units while weakening another. This adds a much larger amount of difficulty, since the only characters he can't possess are the main lords, who can't take on all of the enemies alone unless you overload your lords with weapons and you have healers with physics. In that situation, though, you leave your healers open to Dracozombies. So your only hope is that all of the bosses attempts to possess miss. Once again, MUAHAHAHAH*coughcough*. Okay I need to quit doing that.

Klokinator
Advanced Member
Klokinator
Advanced Member

24 Feb 2011, 00:08 #30

When I found out that the Demon King AI byte in FE8 allowed any unit to summon 8 mid level enemy units I nearly shit my pants. It means it has a way to increase the difficulty of a chapter suddenly, for one thing. If your staff didn't just revive, but gave STAT BONUSES (small ones) to the monsters, and those bonuses got higher and higher gradually as he keeps reviving them, it would gradually increase the threat until it was a significant threat indeed.