FEXNA (Currently In Private Beta)

Rules, news, estimated release dates and moar.

FEXNA (Currently In Private Beta)

BwdYeti
Advanced Member
BwdYeti
Advanced Member

28 Nov 2013, 03:21 #1

/copy pastes from Serenes Forest

Since apparently it's not a secret anymore

Basically FEXP: the version that Yeti will actually be completing and supporting. FEXNA uses Microsoft XNA, somewhat obviously, and eventually will use MonoGame for OSX/Linux versions. I'm developing a series of editors that will cover almost everything you could want to change; and if you're looking for something more in-depth, the source code will be included as well. Currently in private beta (no we're not looking for testers) while I work on 7x

Some Editor screenshots (wip):
[+] spoiler

Basically just a thread to let you know it's eventually happening and to fish for ideas. What you don't like about hacking that you think FEXNA should improve on, what you like about hacking that I should definitely keep, where FEXP made mistakes (other than not being supported after release), etc etc

Dunal
Advanced Member
Dunal
Advanced Member

09 Dec 2013, 15:13 #2

BwdYeti @ Nov 28 2013, 03:21 AM wrote:What you don't like about hacking that you think FEXNA should improve on, what you like about hacking that I should definitely keep, where FEXP made mistakes (other than not being supported after release), etc etc
Just a few ideas:

A.) Perhaps add a 'general' tab where users can tweak combat mechanics or formulas without having to go into code (This is easy enough to do for some, like myself, but others may not know how to do so). Things like the crit modifier, support affinity bonuses, terrain bonuses, default graphics/audio, titlescreen, saving etc... Anything not too technical. Kind of like RPG maker's System tab but more FE specific.

B.) Maybe an entire support tab with full functionality (bonuses, custom affinities, options on how support points are gained, perhaps able to do the eventing itself here etc). Probably not needed, but could exist for those who want a few more options to tweak with.

C.) Graphics/Audio more intertwined with the Editor tabs (mugs/voice pitch etc)? I'm not really sure how beneficial/necessary this is though. Likely not at all.

XNA should be more accessible than XP (in regards to coding) so that's a plus.

All in all, you've seemed to have covered most of the functionality already. It looks really good.

Kain
Advanced Member
Kain
Advanced Member

31 Jan 2014, 23:35 #3

Quick and possibly dumb question: Since you will be porting the game to OS X, will that mean that this creative platform will be available for OS X as well?

Eliwan
Eliwan

17 Mar 2014, 05:27 #4

How difficult will it to be to create our own skills?

some examples: 'first hit per combat (or per turn) on possessor of skill takes N less damage', 'when wielding [specific weapon type], gains one place on the weapon triangle', 'when enemy is wielding [specific weapon type], they lose one place on the weapon triangle', '+DEF & RES when attacking', '+2 Movement if not attacking (Staves do not count as attacking)'?

Is it possible to create a character that is given skills outside of their class, either at a level or by existing?

How about making classes that have more than 2 or 3 tiers?

Combining 2 units (ex; the game opens with a character and their mount as separate units) into one, taking the greater stats from each?

BwdYeti
Advanced Member
BwdYeti
Advanced Member

22 Mar 2014, 13:42 #5

Skills are currently handled almost entirely in code, so they require some programming knowledge to create new ones but are relatively simple in comparison to most of the rest of the program.

Characters can be given skills independent of their class. It's a fairly simple system though, so something like FE9/10 would require modifications.

Any number of promotions for classes is possible.

Combining two units is very 'possible', but in no way implemented in the base engine.

Metakirby

24 Mar 2014, 17:44 #6

Will Skills items like Fe10 will appear? (More the graphics, because the items is easy no? :))

And after all is done (so in a long time) will you take idea? Because I've one biggest idea, and just wanted to share it :)

Anyway, waiting the next release of Immortal Sword.

22 Aug 2014, 19:59 #7

BwdYeti @ Mar 22 2014, 01:42 PM wrote: Characters can be given skills independent of their class. It's a fairly simple system though, so something like FE9/10 would require modifications.
Or you could just create several classes of the same name, assigning a different one to each character (including generic enemies) and giving each one the skills that character would have. =X

This would also make branching promotions easier as you could have one myrmidon promote to a swordmaster with a hero crest and another promote to a hero. This is assuming class promotions are tied to class. If they aren't more power to you then.

Is it possible to use game mechanics not used solely in the GBA games? What if one wants to add the features from FE5, such as fatigue, minimum unit requirements, and most importantly, capturing?

What about adding extra stats? The most obvious would be a STR/MAG split, so units could be dual magic-physical units. But what about about if I wanted to add extra stats for determining whether or not weapons could be used? Say, for instance, DEX, INT, and SPR (spirit) requirements? Mostly a backburner thing, and I can scrap the idea if it's simply too convoluted, but it would be cool if it was possible without completely rewriting the source (once it's released).

Is it possible to use FEA's support system? As many As as we want, only one S.

Yue
Yue

25 Aug 2014, 14:46 #8

PowerOfKaishin @ Aug 22 2014, 07:59 PM wrote: Is it possible to use game mechanics not used solely in the GBA games? What if one wants to add the features from FE5, such as fatigue, minimum unit requirements, and most importantly, capturing?
Pretty sure you can add whatever system you want into FEXNA game, as long as you script them.
PowerOfKaishin @ Aug 22 2014, 07:59 PM wrote: What about adding extra stats? The most obvious would be a STR/MAG split, so units could be dual magic-physical units. But what about about if I wanted to add extra stats for determining whether or not weapons could be used? Say, for instance, DEX, INT, and SPR (spirit) requirements? Mostly a backburner thing, and I can scrap the idea if it's simply too convoluted, but it would be cool if it was possible without completely rewriting the source (once it's released).
Extra states is doable by scripts as well. But besides script I think one has to adjust the status display screen as well, which also means scripts.
PowerOfKaishin @ Aug 22 2014, 07:59 PM wrote:Is it possible to use FEA's support system? As many As as we want, only one S.
Support system sounds pretty much equals to scripts.

I think imagination is the only limit for FEXNA to make a GBA style game, but I may be wrong.