25 March

Check here for public releases.

25 March

Myke
Advanced Member
Myke
Advanced Member

Mar 25 2012, 08:11 AM #1

How is it March already? I know your perception of time is relative to the amount of time you've already experienced, but I've got things to do!
Like the progress report!

And a few more rounds of Twisted Treeline

~News

We're back! I mean there's still a few technicalities to be resolved, a few missing assets, but for the most part we're back to where we were before everything got CRAZY. Which means we can start moving forwards!

This is bad news for those of us who have been coasting (me).

What this obviously means for you guys is new content galore. I'm designing a set of windowskins, Yeti's developing new classes for TR3, Feaw's revising the map, our muggers are...
Well, I'm sure they feel awful.

And if not, I'll do what I can to make it so.

Anyway, since the project is surging ahead with new momentum, we've decided it's finally time to open a donation account. Any loose change you can drop in there will help us with server costs, software licensing and even commission fees for things like cutscene art. You can access it via the new drop-down menus on the main site (which are pretty cool).

~Updates

Surely by now you've either gotten sick of us changing the formula or you're hanging on for the next big new mechanic. For those of you in the latter group, I have great news! For the former, not so much.
We felt the t2 Mastery skills shifted far too much focus onto luck in battles - it can be hard enough covering your bases against crits, high dodge rates and so on without fretting over whether that Halb will activate Luna or not. To give the player back some control over the flow of battle, we've changed the activation skills into something like super attacks: each unit will fill a gauge at the start of each round by an amount based on their relevant stat, and when it's full, can activate their Mastery attack from the command menu.

Let us know your thoughts on the matter.

We respect your opinions. More than your parents do, anyway.

We're also giving bosses some limited protection against these attacks, so don't worry too much about them becoming trivialised.

The other thing I want to talk about is music. Some time ago, Yeti brought up the practice of running compositions through a rom and recording them that way, so as to preserve the style and quality of the GBAFE music in our new tracks. Doing so would also allow us to pad our library with some of our favourite tracks from the games, and generally require less effort for our musicians. I was given the impression that the file size would be reduced as well, but I'm not entirely sure.
The idea was put aside for later consideration, as other, more pressing matters popped up, but very recently a member asked us about it - and we still didn't have an answer.

Professionals.

Since a Report was due, we decided to pass the buck and put it on your heads. Do high-quality instrumentals rub you the right way, or are you happy with Wind Across the Plains again? Form or function? Let us know!

~Backlog

Since I can't really scrape together anything from the questions topic, we've got another backlog this time. I'm sure you'll forgive me, since it's all about the Overworld map.

While not exactly a new concept, the implementation we're using is unique (as far as we know; FE13 is still a while away). Rather than the literal overworld of FE8, where you run around and visit old areas, generally accomplishing nothing, ours is more of a mission menu. From this one screen, you may review data on completed and unlocked missions (such as the average level of your units upon completion or the rank you achieved), replay completed missions, change difficulty, and most obviously, study the lay of the land and understand the journey each Lord will make.

And you'll need all the help you can get.

This also means that should one of your lords be underleveled, or if one of the characters doesn't quite turn out the way you expected, you can track back to a chapter of your choice and replay from that point. After completing the chapter, you can choose to save over your old results (and thus carry them over to the next chapter and continue from there) or not.
As for difficulties, the system has been set so that playing in hard mode also unlocks the normal versions of the chapters - in case you find yourself regretting the decision to play in hard mode. It doesn't work the other way around, I'm afraid to say.

So there we have it! A real smorgasbord of delicious information. Hopefully this helps to make up for my sporadic update schedule :~

Rakuko
Advanced Member
Rakuko
Advanced Member

Mar 25 2012, 10:27 AM #2

ooh, skill gauges, i like.

music....hmm. for this project, having a soundtrack that fits the GBAFE style would be ideal. but FE9/10-esque music.....i wouldn't be mad at it.
game stuff:

FFX HD, XCOM2, SFV

jubjub862

Mar 25 2012, 02:27 PM #3

Looks nice, Myke. I was kinda worried about the t2 skills as well. I'm digging the new map system, too; smarter than FE8, where you can just breeze through the game after wasting 48 hours in the friggin tower of Valni... Excited for more.

Oh it's Jubby from Serenes/Team Overtroll, btw. I've been signed up here for a while but only posted once or twice.. :unsure:

Mercenary Lord
Advanced Member
Mercenary Lord
Advanced Member

Mar 25 2012, 03:05 PM #4

I like all of these ideas, but I have always been interested in the new battle animations above anything else. When can we see the Stauhlfaust and Hex still frames? A new class? I would especially like to see the Squire Class finished.
'Physics is imagination in a straight jacket.' ~John Moffat

kieran32
Advanced Member
kieran32
Advanced Member

Mar 26 2012, 09:22 PM #5

so... player unit can fill up a guage... but that removes the use of the mastery attacks on the enemy turn. also, do enemies get a guage? and how do you plan to balance enemy mastery skills if they can activate them at will?

ArcSage
ArcSage

Mar 26 2012, 10:02 PM #6

I agree with Rakuko. The GBAFE music style would be ideal, but I know how much trouble it would be to have to route the compositions through the roms, so I'm leaning towards using newer sound libraries. This would save time and energy that could be put towards creating a more engaging soundtrack.
"People come and go in your life, some stay forever, some stay for years, some stay for just a little while... But no matter the length of time, make every minute count because that impact will last you a lifetime." - Maci Chang

deranger
Advanced Member
deranger
Advanced Member

Mar 28 2012, 11:42 PM #7

I prefer FE 9/10 quality/type music, but in the end it's the tunes, not the format that they're in, that makes the difference, so not a big deal either way. I like the gauge idea (as long as things stay balanced). Reminds me of the Guild Wars Fire Emblem game I thought up a long time ago.

Bikriki
Bikriki

Mar 29 2012, 07:37 PM #8

Gauge-based mastery skill?
Sounds nice.

Music?
Well, given the GBA-Style graphics, fe9/10-esque music might sound out of place. I wouldn't mind that much, though...

Darkblade
Advanced Member
Darkblade
Advanced Member

Apr 25 2012, 02:15 PM #9

so... player unit can fill up a guage... but that removes the use of the mastery attacks on the enemy turn. also, do enemies get a guage? and how do you plan to balance enemy mastery skills if they can activate them at will?
I agree with this entirely. I honestly believe the luck-based skills keep the game more interesting. Criticalling (and also in many cases, Hitting) is also luck based, so are you going to have guages that allow for you to activate the critical hits and guaranteed hits as well? Doing any of this takes away the very essence of Fire Emblem, which is, in fact, luck-based. If you don't like having to be lucky, the find a different game to play/make.

Also, you stole the gauge idea from Klok entirely, as he mentioned having guages to allow his lords' weapons to perform incredibly powerful attacks, though the bosses would have some amount of resistance to it. However, this wasn't EVERY TIER 2 UNIT! This was only two characters using improved attacks that come with very specific weapons. This makes more sense to me, honestly.
Rather than the literal overworld of FE8, where you run around and visit old areas, generally accomplishing nothing
I beg to differ. Not every map contained an armory and/or shop, and the shops/armories on the map are alot cheaper and usually contain a much greater variety than the always available pre-battle armory.

Also, for those of you who hate the Tower of Valni, it's pretty much the same as arena-abusing, so having such a place is not at all horrible. It's a place for you to go to IF you want to do that sort of thing. If not, then LEAVE IT ALONE and STOP WHINING ABOUT IT.
FE13 is still a while away
Noooooot really, my friend. That's also implying that it reaches across the world, unlike FE12. (Not saying I like the game. Merely stating facts.) Japan already has this game, and Europe will be getting it soon.
When can we see the Stauhlfaust and Hex still frames?
^This. You have had shadows for these sprites for over a year now. The stalfauhst even longer than the Hex, if I remember correctly.
it's the tunes, not the format that they're in
^ If the songs are crap, the format doesn't make any difference. You could have the most realistic sounding formatting, but that's all for nothing if the songs suck entirely. Use whatever format takes up the least space. (For the sake of our computers.)
We respect your opinions. More than your parents do, anyway.
If this holds true, then you will read every word I have said and take this into deep consideration. If not, then you truly are assholes who deserve to rot forever.

BwdYeti
Advanced Member
BwdYeti
Advanced Member

Apr 25 2012, 07:03 PM #10

Darkblade @ Apr 25 2012, 09:15 AM wrote:If this holds true, then you will read every word I have said and take this into deep consideration. If not, then you truly are assholes who deserve to rot forever.
Commence every word reading: gooo
I agree with this entirely. I honestly believe the luck-based skills keep the game more interesting. Criticalling (and also in many cases, Hitting) is also luck based, so are you going to have guages that allow for you to activate the critical hits and guaranteed hits as well? Doing any of this takes away the very essence of Fire Emblem, which is, in fact, luck-based. If you don't like having to be lucky, the find a different game to play/make.
The essence isn't simply luck, but luck that can be very finely controlled. Both of those values can be manipulated, often to the point that luck no longer plays a part. Weapons with higher hit or crit rates can be used, or enemies with high avoid can be attacked with your units that have high skl, and then you can use units with high avo or lck when the enemies have hit/crt.
Skill activation chances on the other hand are pretty much static and aren't adjusted by anything. And unlike criticals, which often require killer weapons or certain classes to get above 10% and have reasonable odds, any unit with a damaging mastery will have about that much all the time. That makes it nearly impossible for the player to form any strategy around them, and makes some enemies highly random threats. There's a reason generic enemies in FE10 don't have masteries, it just isn't fun when a unit surviving or dying in a battle is based on pure, uncontrollable chance
It's a precarious balance situation that can be handled better, and giving the player more control is one way to do that. And it's not like we removed hits and crits, you still have to hit with a mastery for it to mean anything. I would just rather not have to worry about 3 dice rolls on an attack if it can be avoided
but that removes the use of the mastery attacks on the enemy turn.
Not your quote but you said you agree entirely so I figured I'd address it. One of the bigger problems with balance in FE right now is how overpowered the enemy phase is (one of your units kills one unit on the player phase, and then on enemy phase kills 5 or 15 or the entire map when they suicide on your guy), and I'd at least like to not make that problem worse. Also it means on the player phase enemies can't activate masteries, so it gives the player a way to attempt to strategically remove high threats like Swordmasters or Halbs or whatever before they can get a mastery off
Also, you stole the gauge idea from Klok entirely, as he mentioned having guages to allow his lords' weapons to perform incredibly powerful attacks, though the bosses would have some amount of resistance to it. However, this wasn't EVERY TIER 2 UNIT! This was only two characters using improved attacks that come with very specific weapons. This makes more sense to me, honestly.
Actually I came up with most of the idea from trying to make Berwick Saga's command skill system fit FE better by still having a relevant stat (Skl for Luna, etc), and then the rest from combining it with the Laguz gauge system, but okay. Actually I do remember his idea now that you mention it but until now, completely out of mind
EVERY TIER 2 UNIT
Only like 7 have damaging, command based masteries. More than half of t2s have things like free avoid based on weapon level, increased terrain bonuses, access to more weapon types, healing at the start of turns, debuffing enemies, etc.
Also there are still a very small number of classes that still activate skills randomly like in other FEs, they're just very specific cases that fit the theming of the unit better (Assassin's Silencer) or do things when the enemy attacks and wouldn't really function as command skills (Stahlfaust's Bastion)
Also, for those of you who hate the Tower of Valni, it's pretty much the same as arena-abusing, so having such a place is not at all horrible. It's a place for you to go to IF you want to do that sort of thing. If not, then LEAVE IT ALONE and STOP WHINING ABOUT IT.
This seems kind of unprovoked and presumptive?
Noooooot really, my friend. That's also implying that it reaches across the world, unlike FE12. (Not saying I like the game. Merely stating facts.) Japan already has this game, and Europe will be getting it soon.
It was a while away when he posted the topic, and it still is in the language we're currently using :I
Stahlfaust/Hex etc
Tr3 has been in progress for about that much time too. You can wait~
(And they literally aren't sprited yet, see the shoutbox)
Music
They'd probably be about the same quality so it's mostly a stylistic choice. Using GBA style MIGHT be a bit smaller because I could use a lower bitrate since the sound quality wouldn't suffer form it, but dunno

Ugh I hate doing giant quote posts

Mercenary Lord
Advanced Member
Mercenary Lord
Advanced Member

Apr 25 2012, 08:08 PM #11

At least you were mature about it, unlike how other people usually act. Myself included, had not DB been a pretty good friend of mine from a while back.
'Physics is imagination in a straight jacket.' ~John Moffat

Darkblade
Advanced Member
Darkblade
Advanced Member

Apr 26 2012, 02:24 AM #12

This seems kind of unprovoked and presumptive?
This was less aimed at you and more at jubjub, who said:
I'm digging the new map system, too; smarter than FE8, where you can just breeze through the game after wasting 48 hours in the friggin tower of Valni...
Sorry that wasn't clarified.
surviving or dying in a battle is based on pure, uncontrollable chance
It's still based off unit stats in this case. Only here, it's coming from only a single unit instead of both battling units. Of course, if you implement the skills like criticals where the ability to hit presides over them, you could actually STILL prevent them. It's just a matter of are you willing to implement such a system.
They'd probably be about the same quality so it's mostly a stylistic choice. Using GBA style MIGHT be a bit smaller because I could use a lower bitrate since the sound quality wouldn't suffer form it, but dunno
Whatever's easier. c:
Actually I do remember his idea now that you mention it but until now, completely out of mind
I find this hard to believe given that you took what Klok said in his blog and just summarized it. I'm not trying to call you a liar. I'm merely stating that without proof, it's hard to believe.

Umm... and please don't decide to use the double battle system from FE13. That is part of what I don't like about that game. The rest of what I don't like is confusing storyline and the possibility to recruit "ghost characters." That and one of the characters who goes by the name of Marth is actually a girl. Sorry. I got a bit off topic there.

Also, I'm still technically banned here (I think). I just found a small hole to get through. c:

BwdYeti
Advanced Member
BwdYeti
Advanced Member

Apr 26 2012, 02:37 PM #13

Darkblade @ Apr 25 2012, 09:24 PM wrote:I find this hard to believe given that you took what Klok said in his blog and just summarized it. I'm not trying to call you a liar. I'm merely stating that without proof, it's hard to believe.
I could post AIM/Skype logs of coming up with the idea but if just telling you isn't enough to convince you then that doesn't seem like it'd do any better :/
And the reason it sounds similar is because it is a summary. Myke left out parts (like it also fills a smaller amount when your unit gets in fights, or the fill rate is based on the stat the Skill uses (Skl for Luna, Lck for Sol, etc) so that like chance activation skills a better unit still gets them more often) because progress reports are quick summaries not detailed counts of every change
\o_O/
surviving or dying in a battle is based on pure, uncontrollable chance
It's still based off unit stats in this case. Only here, it's coming from only a single unit instead of both battling units.
?
Umm... and please don't decide to use the double battle system from FE13. That is part of what I don't like about that game.
I had come up with a plan for resuced units providing bonus attacks some 2 or 3 years ago just as a random idea, but it's not something I would put in 7x. I definitely wouldn't do the double attacks for units that are just next to each other
Also, I'm still technically banned here (I think). I just found a small hole to get through. c:
I don't even particularly remember banning you

^this is how it should work, quote posts that are smaller than the quoted post

Darkblade
Advanced Member
Darkblade
Advanced Member

Apr 26 2012, 04:04 PM #14

\o_O/
That was pretty much the expression on my face while reading your description of this whole gauge thing.
I had come up with a plan for resuced units providing bonus attacks some 2 or 3 years ago just as a random idea
THIS is fine, and doesn't bother me. It was
double attacks for units that are just next to each other
THIS that I was hoping you wouldn't do. Which thank the lord above you aren't doing.
I don't even particularly remember banning you
I know that I was at one point, and I can't log in through the normal log in screen. The only way for me to is the quick login.

Oh, and I apologize if my post(s) yesterday rubbed you the wrong way. I've just been really tense and stressed out lately. (I could use an anger management class at times, but I also have a fear of therapists. lol c: )

And quite honestly, even though I want to, I can't really use FEXP anymore anyway. I don't have that sort of time. I'll try to lend criticism and whatnot on it and other areas if it's wanted, but otherwise, my presence online serves nearly no purpose anymore.(which is part of why I disappeared. well, that and I got ban-hammered.)

Khrene Cleaver
Advanced Member
Khrene Cleaver
Advanced Member

Apr 26 2012, 10:16 PM #15

Soooooooo.... How bout dem Lakers?

Well, I personally like the idea of a mastery gauge for some T2 units,. It does take away from the random risk, cause good lord it was annoying when someone would run up on my with a killer bow and low and behold pull a crit out their arse every damn time.

But there was also something special about randomly getting Astra and Aether on people. Or equipping your Killing Edge and praying for that critical.

On a lower note Silencer actually never worked for me in FE9.

Confirmation of reply: