11 Jan

Check here for public releases.

11 Jan

Myke
Advanced Member
Myke
Advanced Member

11 Jan 2014, 08:59 #1

Welcome to 2014, everybody. The gaming industry has a new generation of consoles and policies and trends, and here we are paying tribute to a title that's now over ten years old. It was one hell of a title, wasn't it? It brought a lot of people together who otherwise would never have met, it established whole communities of thousands, and it inspired many to take up the tools and begin their journeys as creators. I, for one, have a lot to thank it for: from role-playing at FEPlanet and developing my writing skills, to studying mechanics and systems during the Elibe Clan Wars era, to honing my hand at drawing and spriting thoughout the FESpritez and FEFusion eras - I doubt I would be on the path I'm on if I hadn't played Fire Emblem 7.

Recount some of your own stories, if you will, and join me in celebration of another fine year of being an FE fan :]

News
The Awesome Games Done Quick organisation has been running a speedrun marathon for charity these last few days, and though it's almost over now, you can still watch the archived footage. The Fire Emblem 8 run was a spectacular failure, but the kind that is amazing to watch, so give that a look if you get the time. Also consider throwing a few dollars in the pail, as proceeds go to the Prevent Cancer Foundation.

In other barely-related-to-Fire-Emblem news, Marth has been confirmed for the new Smash Bros, to absolutely noone's surprise. I was kind of hoping to see Lucina in the roster, but maybe she could be an alternate costume or something? If not, at least there's always this Monster Hunter Frontier-G release.

List of things I can't: this

Lastly, I'll mention that the Wii U gamepad has been hacked to stream PC games. Does this mean you might be able to play FE7x on your Wii U gamepad? Only time will tell.
But that's not all...

Updates

Yeti has been porting the engine to be used in OSX and Android. Progress has been slow, but steady, and now that he's re-tooled the audio processing stuff, it should be done in time for our next release. So yes. Yes, you can play FE7x on a mac. No, you still can't play it in VBA. Why do people still ask that? How does that make any sense?

And because he had ample free time while I was getting drunk on the coast during the holiday break, he has also gone and implemented stereoscopic 3D functionality. I haven't had the chance to test it on a 3D TV, but if you have a 3DS you can check out the following link for a preview: http://www.bwdyeti.com/fe7x.mpo

Now, I'm not saying I haven't gotten anything done. Over the break I spent a good 70 hours in a car while we hopped from family gathering to family gathering, and during that time I made good progress on the latest scripts, and even designed a couple of maps. Chapters 7 and 7x are roughly 60% done, and should be playable some time soon. After that we have only three more chapters to do for Uther Part One, and then Tristan and Eliza's six or so to finish Part One entirely.
Also of note, we gave Magnus a slight boost and we now have enough ranking data to do a more thorough rebalance of the system, so look forward to those in the next release as well.

The mug team have been pretty quiet, but once again Merc has earned an Internet Employee of the Month award for his contribution of Kalten's mug. Arcsage gave us overworld and recruitment themes, which leaves only a few key holes in our soundtrack to prevent us from giving you a proper audio update with the next release.

Backlog
In closing I'd like to refer you to the 30-day character development challenge I've been working on over on DeviantArt, where you can gain some further insight into the backstories and personalities of our three lords.

Until next time.

Kain
Advanced Member
Kain
Advanced Member

13 Jan 2014, 06:16 #2

You guys are doing fantastic work. I hope you're proud of what you're doing.

Dunal
Advanced Member
Dunal
Advanced Member

14 Jan 2014, 14:36 #3

Good stuff.

I'm quite intrigued how Eliza/Tristan's small amount of chapters (3 each compared to 9) will work out with unit balance and the like. Even including things like supports. Assuming you want to put all units at an even level for part 2 (Something FE10 didn't achieve too well). But I'm sure you have something figured out. I guess it's too early to tell.

BwdYeti
Advanced Member
BwdYeti
Advanced Member

15 Jan 2014, 03:03 #4

Mostly by starting them on higher levels, or giving them more chapters in part 2 before the team up

Rakuko
Advanced Member
Rakuko
Advanced Member

15 Jan 2014, 05:11 #5

i woke up during the night of the FE8 run (left the stream on) and was hella confused at what was going on the desert map. plus the "surprise" at the reinforcements, but i was half asleep, probably missed the commentary talking strats.

Myke finished the character thing! Eiry hype at the end!

still unsure if i'll ever get a Wii U. that SMT x FE game is eventually coming out so i guess so.....
game stuff:

FFX HD, XCOM2, SFV

The Merc
Advanced Member
The Merc
Advanced Member

16 Jan 2014, 03:44 #6

Snowboarding Eckesachs @ Jan 11 2014, 08:59 AM wrote:

Dieuwtjin

21 Jan 2014, 08:06 #7

Awesome progress :) Hope to see Uther's entire chapterlist soon!

One thing on (honest) feedback; regarding the recruitment theme, I'm a bit confused as to what it's aiming for. It seems to fall directly in between a more melodious theme and an energetic rock theme, but rather than making it sound like a good crossover it feels to me as if both components clash with eachother and make it achieve neither. As it stands, I'd remove the bass/drums and go for a pure melodic theme.