1 Apr

Check here for public releases.

1 Apr

Myke
Advanced Member
Myke
Advanced Member

01 Apr 2014, 09:14 #1

Hey everyone! It's been a while. How are you doing? Achieved all your dreams and aspirations yet? No? Well, maybe you can cut us some slack for being a little behind schedule.

Haha.

I don't think that's how passive-aggression works, Myke

You'll be happy to know that there's good reason for it...

News
We're collaborating with Team Overtroll and expanding the project to include an FE7 remake, a port of Elibian Nights, and an FE6 remake! These games will be available as a continuation of the final chapter of FE7x, or if you prefer, you can just jump to the prologue of whichever game you want from the world map menu. Keep in mind, however, that playing the whole series in succession will grant legacy bonuses to the latter games, like your support pairings modifying the stats of the pairing's children and certain items being passed down. The implications are just too exciting for me to really describe, but I'm sure you can all imagine. We're talking over a hundred hours of content in a single play-through of this sweeping, epic adventure. Hell, we might be able to go the extra mile and include a Scouring campaign to complete the Elibe saga once and for all!

Obviously, this will have some major effects on our development, not the least of which will be an additional five or ten years of production before we can expect a final release. You can also expect a major restructuring of our team, procedures, and policies, so there will be a number of substantial delays before we can even begin development on this behemoth, and countless more throughout. With a project of this scope we would also need to enlist the aid of a greater number of writers, programmers, and pixel artists, so a drop in quality and cohesion is inevitable. It's also very likely that we would need to restructure our site and delivery platform to a paid, membership-based system. Lastly, the file-size and hardware requirements necessary to run the whole thing will be substantially inflated. I'm sure all of you are more than willing to overlook these flaws for such a ground-breaking product, though.

It may sound like a radical, even daunting change, but we've discussed it at length and we all agree that the investment of time and effort will more than pay off. Besides, an idea this audacious is too big to fail.

Updates
In the last report I revealed that we were implementing the Base Camp feature for Chapter 7. We're still missing a couple of core elements, and it's using a placeholder UI, but it's already become such an integral part of the game that I find myself looking forward to it when playtesting.

Almost as much as I look forward to this sweet hat

When fully operational the Base Camp will allow you to manage your units' inventories (complete with attached store), activate their supports, boost their exp in training, and read idle conversations they have while preparing for the day's events. The Base Camp is available before selected chapters and will be a vital tool throughout the story.
I mentioned on Facebook that there were two chapters in the works: Chapter 7 is almost complete, and the first playable Gaiden, Chapter 7x, is in the preliminary stages of being functional. We have a map, an idea of the enemy placement and boss behaviour, what items you'll get, and about three scenes written.

Time that would have been spent polishing and testing it has instead been devoted to the large-scale stat overhaul I mentioned in the same Facebook post. As I'm sure you're all aware, we've been carefully rebalancing the game through mechanics and class tweaks over the years to subvert the tendency of Fire Emblem games to completely favour characters with certain stat spreads. In most of the latest releases, all that matters is that a character max out their speed stat quickly, and have decent power and defense to back it up. Characters with high luck or resistance are completely trivialised, even if their total sum of stats is far greater than the top-heavy units they're competing with.

We've altered the avoid formula to emphasise luck over speed, increased the might of most weapons to give low-strength characters a fighting chance (the 80 HP cap helps balance that out), made resistance meaningful by making magic users more common and using it for the healing formula and the damage dealt by magical swords, and added an accuracy-to-critical spillover mechanic to buff high-skill characters (and subsequently made luck more important again). Not to mention the plethora of carefully-balanced class skills and other metagame changes that offer more defensive options and tactical depth.

And after years of subjecting this sytem to a barrage of tests using different map styles, classes, difficulties, and objectives, we're finally satisfied that we've achieved what we set out to do. Which of course means...

More work!

We’re finally ready to shift the balance of our units to a more even spread, instead of everybody piling as much speed, strength, and their choice of skill or defense onto their plate. Characters with poor power, speed, and so on are now just as viable as characters with poor resistance or hit points, and it's now safe for characters to have a fairly even spread of statistics with no dump stats. This means our cast now has tremendous variety and utility, and the same is true for enemy units.
One change we did make for enemies, however, was to give them zero luck at base level, so the player has something of an edge in the early-game that wears away as the enemies gain it through growths.

Speaking of difficulty curves, you'll find that the first few maps now have sparser enemy populations. This does mean that you'll have to be more frugal when deciding where to spread the available exp, but, let's be honest, the opening maps were way harder than they needed to be. It's been brought up by a number of players already, and these are people familiar with the Fire Emblem series. We want a more friendly opening to our adventure. If that upsets you, don't worry: this is just to give new players a false sense of security before things swing back to shameless brutality.
If that's not good enough for you, well...

We wouldn't dare get between a masochist and their pain

Yeti has implemented an advanced audio processing system that allows us actually use that sweet music Rewjeo and ArcSage have been supplying us with, as well as providing support for cross-platform compatibility.
There's also a main menu and a proper save management system now, as well as some AI updates that include things like enemies trading vulneraries, retreating to forts, and rescuing each other. The latter updates are still in very early stages and need a lot more testing, but they promise to bring a whole new dimension to that tactical depth I like to brag about so much.

I don’t have any estimates on when this will all be available for you to try, but I’d like it if we could get it done before August. By then we should have made good ground on the next few chapters and have all the content for that promised Uther Part One demo ready to roll.

I'll keep you posted.

ShinyPichu
Advanced Member
ShinyPichu
Advanced Member

01 Apr 2014, 22:19 #2

i am so looking forward to what you guys have planned if that does indeed happen. i'd like to help if you need an extra hand but I'm sure you guys will do great.
I'll do any map request you might have. just PM me the details and i'll do it.

Rakuko
Advanced Member
Rakuko
Advanced Member

04 Apr 2014, 04:07 #3

forgot to read this on Tuesday, guess it's probably for the best with that first section -3-

pretty happy about the stat changes! will everyone love my waifu Cybil now?

the multi-difficulty settings is very nice, probably the only thing I thought was a good idea in recent FEs.
game stuff:

FFX HD, XCOM2, SFV

RedDingo
RedDingo

07 Apr 2014, 15:14 #4

Not sure how much of this post is bull $#!% but I'm going to say all of it.

supafrunk

13 Apr 2014, 18:54 #5

Pretty sure this is an April's Fool

Dunal
Advanced Member
Dunal
Advanced Member

14 Apr 2014, 20:26 #6

Only the 'News' section is April fools.

As for difficulty for the earlier maps, I've only ever had a problem with the Prologue, as you know. The soldiers in that map are too RNG as to whether they will crit or whether you can hit them. While other maps you have a healer and a fail-safe unit (Eagler) should you miss attacks. It's a balance that works. I liked the difficulty beyond the Prologue because it felt strategically challenging as opposed to RNG. And it felt possible to train weaker units regardless.

Not sure if reducing both LCK and # of enemies are both required though. If anything I would just tone down Soldiers.

Heck, some enemy types are already quite weak even before you weaken them. The Squires in Ch2 for instance. Or fighters. The soldiers on the other hand have the best stats along with the best weapon type against you. There are some soldiers on CH2 that have STR/DEF as high as 10 I believe. But since Eagler exists it's not really an issue -- just a big disparity with other enemies.

Lunatic mode will be interesting. I imagine it's a similar difficulty to current hard to begin with, but then ramps up even more?

The way I look at difficulty modes is that they shouldn't differ too much in the early game, but have much different/steeper difficulty curves. I think other Fire Emblems tend to not do this very well. Early games tend to be harder, and different difficulty settings tend to pump up base stats more-so than growths, making the early games so much more difficult but the curve doesn't deviate much from easier modes, so in the long term, the game gets easier as your units get stronger.

My opinion is the difficulty curves could be something like this:

Each line represents a different difficulty mode. I'd say put more focus into deviating the mid-late games, rather than the early game. Basically, the Prologue probably shouldn't be all that hard even in lunatic -- so in terms of training units and preparation, it isn't that much different. But higher difficulty modes could branch out more harshly at mid/late game. You might be able to separate part 1 and part 2 more this way. Make Part 2 the point where difficulty choice matters the most.

I think you've realized this possibly because you're toning things down. It seems that way. I'm just bringing all this up because of the current Prologue -- as well as past FEs. :)

Can't wait to the next release! This is the fangame I'm most looking forward to!

Rakuko
Advanced Member
Rakuko
Advanced Member

15 Apr 2014, 03:18 #7

i can smell the Lunatic enemy-only skills from here.
game stuff:

FFX HD, XCOM2, SFV

supafrunk

28 Apr 2014, 21:36 #8

Rakuko @ Apr 15 2014, 03:18 AM wrote: i can smell the Lunatic enemy-only skills from here.
I really hated these. Unless the skills-setup are the same and not random( I'm looking at you, hawkeye hammer brigand >_>, damn you for all the time wasted with resets). By that I don't mean that every swordmen have Hawkeye and every brigand gets Sol, but that a specific unit at a specific spot has this specific enemy-only skill on this specific map every time.